As KINETA BOOKER discovered, Christchurch Adventure Park is more than just mountain biking.
Nestled among the gloriously majestic pine trees on the Port Hills, Christchurch Adventure Park is like a whole other world. It’s a base for epic adventures, but also a tranquil spot for relaxation.
Stepping out at the car park you might think you’re at a snowless ski field as Christchurch Adventure Park (CAP) is home to the longest chairlift in New Zealand. The Park is not just for mountain biking fanatics as there are many items on the adventure agenda for visitors to choose from. You certainly don’t have to get too sweaty to take part.
It’s a park for the whole family and has become a popular destination for workshops during school holidays. So popular, in fact, that they now run after-school programmes.
‘We trialled our first school holiday coaching clinics for kids in the April holidays, and they sold out almost immediately. We are going to run even more clinics these school holidays and are running after-school youth clinics each afternoon, so if you have a budding rider aged 7-17, get in touch with us and get them involved in this awesome sport’, says CAP sales and marketing manager, Sheena Crawford.
CAP has New Zealand’s highest and longest zipline and it’s a way to experience the Port Hills like no other. If you’re more of a chairlift type of person, you can travel up and down on CAP’s chairlift for a stunning scenic ride taking in the adventures around you as you go. You can dismount at the top, where there is a short walk to take some snaps with views across the city and out to the Pacific Ocean and Southern Alps.
Or, if you and your family feel like exploring, there’s a great walking track among the pines around the CAP village. Whichever experience you choose, there’s always a hot drink and some warm food waiting to entice you at the Village Cafe, with an area dedicated to children. The perfect way to end any type of epic adventure.
Fun family activities at CAP:
- Take the chairlift up the hill for awesome views – riders must be four years old; kids under seven ride for free.
- After-school clinics: Mon-Wed for 7-12-year-olds, Thurs-Fri for 13-17-year-olds
- Book a Downhill Apprentice lesson for a budding rider – includes all rental equipment, skills session, 1 uplift on the chairlift and a guided run on the Green Trail (age 13+).
- Pick up a colouring-in sheet from the cafe where there’s a dedicated children’s area.
- Kids’ bikes can be hired for $10 from CAP’s Rental Store for use on the Pump Track.
- For a real family adventure, book in for a Family Zip Tour – $350 for 2 adults and 2 kids; $70 for any additional child (23kg minimum weight).
0508 247 478 / christchurchadventurepark.com