The EATS cookbook, from One Mother to Another, is a collation of recipes from household names, chefs and everyday mums designed to fund the ongoing support of mums and carers in hospital with sick children.
Recipes have been generously donated from Nigella Lawson, Peter Gordon, and our own Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern as well as mothers who’ve received One Mother to Another gift bags, and hospital staff who’ve given them out.
The Christchurch-based charity was started by two mothers Christina Buckland and Joy Reid after they both mothers experienced unexpected hospital stays with their children.
They currently provide 170 gift bags each month to four South Island hospital wards (Christchurch Hospital’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and Children’s Acute Assessment Unit, Nelson’s Special Care Baby Unit
and Southland’s Neonatal Intensive Care Unit.)
‘Chocolate’ Ice Blocks
Recipe by Christina, co-founder of One Mother to Another
My kids love these ice blocks, and I have that wonderful smug feeling that parents get when your kids are eating nourishing foods and they don’t even know it!
What you need
- 1 cup unsalted cashew nuts
- 1 large banana
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- 300-350 ml coconut milk
- Place the cashew nuts in a bowl, cover with water and put in the fridge overnight to soak. The next morning, drain the nuts and place them into the blender or food processor.
- Add the banana, cocoa powder and coconut milk, and blend well until smooth.
- Pour into ice block moulds and place in the freezer.
- Once the ice blocks are frozen they are ready to enjoy. You can run them under warm water to release them from the moulds.